MURRAY, Jamaica, Port Royal

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MURRAY, Jamaica, Port Royal

Postby Madeleine Mitchell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Madeleine Mitchell. The earliest Murray is Elias born in 1812/13, Reputed to be son of a ships chandler of Port Royal who came to Jamaica from Kirkcudbright, Scotland.
Madeleine Mitchell

Re: MURRAY, Jamaica, Port Royal

Postby Kerryn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 am

Hi there Madeleine,
I was wondering if Elias Murray is related to my 3x great grandfather 'James Murray' a mariner from Kingston, Jamaica. He came to South Australia circa 1840 and married my 3x great grandmother Hannah Charlesworth. It is recorded in the family bible that he tried to go back to Jamaica circa 1858 but was 'lost' overboard? He had two surviving children Martha Murray (my 2 x great grandmother) and James Richard Murray. Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards and best wishes,
Kerryn.
Kerryn

Postby Madeleine Mitchell » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:44 am

Hi Kerryn,
Thanks for your enquiry. I can not tell you much about Elias Murray's origins or his siblings other than what is on the post. I do have a photo of him and he is mulatto. His date of birth I put at 1811/1812 because when he died in 1868 in Port Royal he was listed as 57 years old in the Daily Gleaner newspaper. His middle name in this source was Wainwright. Do you have this name in your tree? At the time of baptism of his children in the Methodist church, 1838-1853, he was listed as having an occupation as butcher, merchant and carpenter, but more times butcher. The eulogy to his son William Clarke Murray says that his father was a managing clerk of a Mr Powell who owned a Wholesale and General Business at Port Royal and Kingston. I have delved into the idea that Elias' father came out to Jamaica from Kirkcudbright Scotland but I have not got anything satisfactory. There was a Charles Murray who was in the Dockyard at Port Royal but I haven't found his origins. He may have been the Charles Murray who died in St Thomas in the East parish in 1823. Sorry not to be of more help.
Madeleine
Madeleine Mitchell

Postby Kerryn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi there Madeleine,
Thank you so much for getting back to me. The name Wainwright hasn't come up at all in my family tree. I did think my Murray was a mulatto though, as we have some family traits ( right down to my youngest son who has a 'mongolian blue spot') and when I found out that I had an ancestor from Jamaica, I thought, 'bingo' that would be where that came from. Funnily enough we named my eldest son 'Elias' too!
I will keep digging!
Thank you again,
Kerryn. X
Kerryn

Postby amelia064 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:31 am

Hi Madelaine and Kerryn

We are researching my husbands family who are Murray's.

I saw your post which included Murray's from St Thomas. My husband is from this Murray line. His father told him they came from Papine, St Andrew and some travelled abroad many many years ago.

There is a Charles Murray in his family line also. Would love to hear from you.
amelia064

Postby Kerryn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:35 am

Hi Amelia,

Would love to hear more from you. My Murray came to Australia circa 1840 when he married my 3 x great grandmother, they did not start having children until 1848, ten years after this he sailed back to Jamaica. The family bible states this happened in 1858 and that he was 'lost' overboard before he could reach Jamaica. He was a mariner by trade. Regards, Kerryn.
Kerryn

Postby Kerryn » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 am

I should also mention that they had a third child who did not survive into adulthood, his name was Walter Earl ( or Herl) Murray. Kerryn. x
Kerryn

Postby jilann » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 pm

please join us on facebook to discuss this is murray group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/3318896 ... 9/?fref=nf
jilann

Postby Kerryn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 am

Hi Jilann,
Thank you for the suggestion, I have just sent a Facebook request to you.
Kind regards,
Kerryn. x
Kerryn

Return to Surnames M