CAMPBELL, 1867 shipwreck of "The Duke" - Barbuda

For listing names of passengers, dates and ships which you may have found and wish to share.
Please do NOT post ANY email addresses here.

CAMPBELL, 1867 shipwreck of "The Duke" - Barbuda

Postby clancam » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 am

On the 1st January 1867 the ship "The Duke" ON15028 was wrecked on the island of Barbuda. My ancestor, John Campbell was the Captain, and he and all the crew survived the tragedy.

I am searching for information about this.

The ship's actual name -- was it "The Duke" or "The Duke of "? (eg, Cambridge,Richmond etc.)

Was there an inquiry re the loss or responsibly of the captain or owners?

Was the captain able to continue working as a sea captain or perhaps downgraded to a Mate?

The captain did appear in the 1871 UK Census with his family however I can find no trace of any work by my ancestor after that date.

Hope to hear some news.

Reagrds
clancam
clancam

Re: CAMPBELL, 1867 shipwreck of "The Duke" - Barbuda

Postby chriscod » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi Clamcam

not an expert but yes there would have been an inquest and the Capt and several members of crew would have been questioned. Most ships carried insurance of some sort by then so check Lloyds archives, check mercantile records at uk ARCHIVES You may find mention of the event in Calendar of State Papers, Colonial, West Indies most of which are accessible at British History .
good luck this is the hard stuff without being in Britain.
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Return to Research Specialties - Passenger Lists