OLIVER - Trinidad (and any other Caribbean)

Requests Posted here are for persons who are local to various Archives or Record Offices, or who are asking for others to check reference books for ancestors connected with Caribbean genealogy.
If documents are requested which would need to be paid for, please also state your preferred method of payment (PayPal, Postal Order, draft, etc.) - and preferably your limit on expenditure.

OLIVER - Trinidad (and any other Caribbean)

Postby BChablal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello

I am trying to trace my family history. Simeon Oliver was the name of my great grandfather. He was one of 19 siblings that are known. Those Olivers orgininate in southern Trinidad in the Princes town area. Any information on the offspring of his 18 siblings would be greatly appreciated.

His father was one of three brothers, one sibling remained in Trinidad but the other moved out of Trinidad and was rumoured to be in Tobago. If anybody has any knowledge of the Oliver surname in any other islands or the north of Trinidad then please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Bchablal
BChablal

Re: OLIVER - Trinidad (and any other Caribbean)

Postby bimjim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Vere Langford Oliver was British, trained to be a doctor, apparently, but became so fascinated with his family affairs in the eastern Caribbean that he moved out there and started writing books on genealogy.

It is clear that he was very much a busybody's busybody, probed into everyone's affairs and families, and wrote voluminously on his own family as well as many other families in the eastern region, plus Jamaica.

He wrote two sets of books that I know of, one is three large volumes titled "History of Antigua" (it is genealogy, not history), the other a set of bound newsletters titled "Caribbeana" which made up seven books of full page size. Both had been published by the year 1900, and are fully indexed as to names.

Most of Oliver's writings are centered on Antigua, but as I said he also had some info on Jamaica and Barbados, and may well have done some on Trinidad. And there is no way he could have known if some of his subsequent family members were to emigrate there. If you can get back that far, and you find Olivers in your family tree elsewhere than Trinidad - such as Antigua, Barbados, St. Kitts or Jamaica - those sets of books may well help you take a huge leap backwards.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby BChablal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Ok thank you very much! I will try and look into it. It's difficult as I'm not in Trinidad and my grandmother can't remember all the details. So it may be hard to trace further up the tree. I've found links between one or two Olivers in Trinidad and few in St. Vincent but I'm unsure as to whether there is any significance to that link. I may have to enquire on Facebook perhaps.
BChablal

Postby bimjim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 pm

If you cannot find paper copies, I suggest you search Google Books (books.google.com) for them. One or both sets are available there (to be viewed) free of charge. The OCR process in most places is always mangled (never accurate transcriptions), so the best way to find stuff is to go to the Index at the back of each volume and note the pages you want to look at, then scroll to those pages. If you depend on Search you will miss quite a lot.

Remember, History has THREE volumes, Caribbean has SEVEN. If you only find one book of a set you are missing much more.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby BChablal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks very much!
BChablal

Return to Look-up Requests