Request for Wills from the PRO/Kew:

Requests Posted here are for persons who are local to various Archives or Record Offices, or who are asking for others to check reference books for ancestors connected with Caribbean genealogy.
If documents are requested which would need to be paid for, please also state your preferred method of payment (PayPal, Postal Order, draft, etc.) - and preferably your limit on expenditure.

Request for Wills from the PRO/Kew:

Postby bimjim » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 am

If anyone is near the PRO or Kew, here are some wills I would like to have...

Will of Peter Lynch, Gentleman of Island of Saint Christopher , West Indies 05 February 1748 PROB 11/760

Will of Isidore Lynch, Merchant of London 25 February 1779 PROB 11/1050

Will of Nicholas Lynch, Merchant of City of London 07 April 1763 PROB 11/886

Will of James Lynch, Merchant of Sandy Point Saint Kitts and Nevis , West Indies

Will of Samuel Lynch, of Town of Saint Pierre , Island of Martinico 22 July 1801 PROB 11/1360

I am willing to pay the fees - within reason - by PayPal. If you are nearby and willing to check for me PLEASE get quotes first and have me approve the expense. I know the UK has some enormous charges on sending documents, so I simply can't afford to order them direct digitally or by mail.

Thanks much
Jim Lynch
user bimjim
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: Request for Wills from the PRO/Kew:

Postby MargoMcP » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:28 am

Jim, how do you know these wills exist/where did you find them listed? I looked at the National Archive wills . http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/for "Lynch" (they're about $5 apiece) but don't think I saw any of these people. I just had good luck finding my "main" St. Kitts person's will there last week.
Cardin - St. Kitts
MargoMcP

Postby bimjim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:06 pm

I got "lucky"...

Because I help others wherever I can - including the creation of this Surname resource - people keep my name/s in mind when they are doing heir own research.

In this case it was someone from Ireland who had been at Kew doing her own research. She happened to see some names linked to the Caribbean and sent me the details. You said they were about $5 each to request at Kew, but in my experience I have no doubt that number would balloon a hundred-fold to have them copied and sent to me digitally by email or by mail. The British Public Library once charged me 6 GBP per side - for simple photocopies!!

At some point, hopefully someone will be visiting Kew and remember me...
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MargoMcP » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:19 pm

They're available .; for example, here's Isidore's: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryType=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=497061 and they're 3.5 pounds (which I round off to $5) and you get the original as PDF, right then. It's wonderful, except the writing which will make you blind.
Cardin - St. Kitts
MargoMcP

Postby bimjim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks much... maybe they have changed things since I was last laid flat on my back from just looking at UK prices.

I think at some point in time a politician must have been involved in setting those rates - completely divorced from reality or incentive to use the service! IMHO, politicians the world over have a great deal to answer for... they have become a group of rich, entitled, excrement-slinging, greedy, rude and nasty people in a "career" no right-minded or honest person would consider, much less actually get involved in.

Sorry for the rant... in my travels on the internet and here at home in Toronto I see this gross arrogance every day of life... the latest here was City Hall opening their "Hallowed Halls" to the public for a "Question Period", and one particularly arrogant City Councillor lambasted a man loudly in public (and on local TV) for asking her a question - which she then neither explained nor appreciated. Among daily bad behaviour by many politicians in Canada, the current Prime Minister also conducts "Democracy" and makes decisions as a closely-guarded secret, and closes Parliament's doors whenever there is an "inconvenient truth" about to be questioned by an Opposition Party.

In the Caribbean, Jamaican politicians are selling the country at wholesale prices while lumbering scores of future generations with US$Billions in national debt. In Trinidad the Prime Minister daily tells lies and conducts himself as a de-facto dictator. And so it goes on.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Strange... I just went looking for my documents at the Archives (I was looking for 11 of them), and every single one, without exception, says I have to ask for an estimate and the price would be "from 8.50 UKP"... why do I feel like a sucker on a New York street with a vendor sizing me up to figure out "what the market can bear" - the maximum I can afford to pay.

Whenever I deal with British public institutions I always feel like I'm being mugged.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby MargoMcP » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Did you follow my link and look at Isidore? He's 3.5 pounds. Where/how are you searching? The other day I couldn't find any of your list under "Lynch" and then "Wills" but today I searched for "Isidore Lynch" and he came right up like you had stated him.
Cardin - St. Kitts
MargoMcP

Postby bimjim » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I don't know what happened, but I picked those up at that cost. Thanks much!!

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Look-up Requests