LYNCH - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LYNCH - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi...

I'm a Lynch, from Barbados, and I'm "white". But according to my research I have at least one black ancestor in Barbados.

If your own research discovers any Barbados connections I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: LYNCH - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Lynch

Recorded in various spellings including Linch, Lynch, Lynche, which can be of either English or Irish origin, or Linskey and Lynskey which are both Irish and mainly from County Mayo, and the West of Ireland.

The English name originates in the pre Anglo-Saxon era, and is a topographical surname denoting residence on a slope or a hillside. Derived from the Olde English pre 7th Century word 'hlinc', meaning hill, it may also be locational surname from the villages called 'Lynch' in Somerset or 'Linch' in Sussex, both of which have exactly the same Olde English origination, and are (literally) built on hills.

As an Irish surname, 'Lynch' is far more confusing, nethertheless it is one of the most important clans, being particulary associated with County Galway. In general the surname is said to derive from a Anglicized form of the Gaelic O' Loingsigh, which translates as 'The descendant of the mariner', an unusual description in itself as the ancient Irish were rarely sailors, or as another Anglicized form, this time of the Gaelic 'Linseach', itself confusingly Gaelicized from the Anglo-Norman 'de Lench', which entered the country in the 12th century with the army of Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke.

In effect this takes us back to the begining again and the Olde English 'hlinc', of which 'de Lench' was another spelling.

Thomas Lynch (1749 - 1779), whose Irish family emigrated to America, was one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence, whilst Jack Lynch was Premier of Ireland in 1970.

The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Geoffrey Linch, which was dated 1228, in the "Fine Court Records of Suffolk", during the reign of King Henry 111, known as "The Frenchman", 1216 - 1272.

Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: LYNCH - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:57 pm

More on the origins of the surname Lynch...

http://forebears.io/surnames/lynch

(Origins of other surnames, of course, are searchable at http://forebears.io/surnames/)

Lynch Surname - Meaning & Statistics

2,329th most common surname in the world
Approximately 235,257 people bear this surname
Most prevalent in: United States
Highest density in: Montserrat

Definition:

This surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'at the linch,' from residence thereby. 'A.S. Mine, a hill, but especially a balk or boundary, a sense still preserved in modern provincial English linch' (Skeat, v. link). 'Linch, a balk of land (Kent).]

Lynch Surname Meaning
Descriptive Writing for introductory reference

This surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'at the linch,' from residence thereby. 'A.S. Mine, a hill, but especially a balk or boundary, a sense still preserved in modern provincial English linch' (Skeat, v. link). 'Linch, a balk of land (Kent). Any bank or boundary for the division of land' (Halliwell). A large portion of the New York Lynches must be ascribed to an Irish parentage, as such prefixes as Michael, Patrick, and Terence abound (v. New York Directory).

Emma de Linches. Placitorum in domo capitulari Westmonasteriensi.

William de la Lynche, Close Rolls, 55 Henry III.

Roger Ate-lynch, Fines Roll, 12 Edward I.

Simon de Lynche, Norfolk, 20 Edward I: Placita de Quo Warranto, temp. Edward I-III.

John Uppelynch (i.e. John up the Lynch), Somerset, 1 Edward III: Kirby's Quest.

1780. Married — William Lynch and Martha Richa: St. George, Hanover Square.
— A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames, written: 1872-1896 by Charles Wareing Endell Bardsley

See Linch. Several gentry families of this name reside in cos. Galway and Mayo. They are descended from the settlers known as the tribes of Galway. In a document in Ulster's office, William le Petit is said to have been the ancestor of the Lynch family in Ireland. B.L.G.
— Patronymica Britannica, written: 1838-1860 by Mark Antony Lower

A strip of greenwood between the plowed lands in the common field; a small hanging wood.
— An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names (1857) by William Arthur

Lynch Surname Variants & Similar Names

Surname Similarity Incidence Prevalency
Linch 80 2944 /

Similiar Surnames

Surname Similarity Incidence Prevalency
Lyinch 91 1 /
Llynch 91 8 /
Lynchy 91 18 /
Lynche 91 29 /
Leynch 91 3 /
Lyanch 91 1 /
Lynich 91 - -