LOCK -or- LOCKE Barbados to Philadelphia 1650-1715

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LOCK -or- LOCKE Barbados to Philadelphia 1650-1715

Postby geolocke » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Notes found while researching my family history claim that our first ancestor in America was a merchant from Barbados. I have traced my family line back to 1714 Philadelphia, Pa. where John LOCK and his widowed mother (supposed to have been an OAKLEY) both purchased the right to conduct business in Philadelphia. I have conducted some records searches (mostly from Hottens list & Sanders' transcription of Baptisim, Marriage and Burials) and have confirmed that there was a LOCK/LOCKE family living on Barbados at that time. I would like to connect with anyone who may also be researching either of these two names. Also, I have Y-DNA tested (37 marker level) and would like to ask any other LOCK/LOCKE researchers to do the same.
-geo

George F. Locke
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Researching LOCK, LOCKE or OAKLEY from Barbados to Philadelphia before 1715
geolocke

Re: LOCK -or- LOCKE Barbados to Philadelphia 1650-1715

Postby bimjim » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Do you have any items from the "Barbados Records" series of books?
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby geolocke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 am

bimjim wrote:Do you have any items from the "Barbados Records" series of books?

Hello Jim, I am assuming you are referring to the volumes published by Joanne McRee Sanders? Yes, I have scoured those volumes and have actually pulled out what I believe are eight (8) distinctive family groups from those records which are either LOCK/LOCKE families or a family that mentions a LOCK/LOCKE in a will, etc. I have set up a family tree group called "Barbados Lockes" on my Ancestry account. It is a public tree so it should be available for searching. Mind you, it is just my best guess at these family groups based entirely on the records transcribed by Joanne McRee Sanders, but I feel it makes a good attempt at identifying the various Lock/Locke families on Barbados during that time.

Unfortunately, none of the families appear to be heading my way, so to speak.

This past week I located a will in the British Archives for one "Thomas Locke of the Island of Barbados". The will was written in 1648 and Proved at the Canterbury Prerogative Court in 1652. I have transcribed the will (as best I can) and would like to post it on your board if you would allow. Surnames mentioned in the will include: LOCKE, HAWKINGS [-or- DAWKINGS -or- DAWLINGS], LEAIRE (LEARY?), JANNDERS (?), SNOW, BROWNING, PIPER, WELLES and SELLERS.

Unfortunately, this family too, at first glance appears not to be directly related to my line.
-geo

George F. Locke
geolocke

Postby bimjim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 am

Hi, George...

I just asked because I have the Sanders set, saw at least the abstract of a will in Wills and Administrations Volume 2 and wondered if I could help. Not to worry, if you already have them.

And of course please feel free to Post that will you found. I am happy with almost anything people want to Post here that would help others, my one restriction is email addresses, which have proven to be more of a major problem that the average user might think.

Best of luck...

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby geolocke » Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Jim, I have been intending to post this will for a while now, but have been distracted by various and sundry things including a breakin at my home. I found this will listed in the British Archives. Interestingly enough it does not seem to be listed among the list of wills recorded in Barbados, although I am not 100% sure of that. It seems unlikely that this Thomas Locke is a direct ancestor of mine, since he appears to have died childless, however I post it here in hope it may prove useful to someone else on the list. Please note that words or spellings I am unsure of are placed in brackets “[ ]”.

Cheers!

-geo

George F. Locke

-------------------------------

Transcription of Last Will and Testament of Thomas Locke of Barbados
Written: October 26th, 1648 - Barbados
Proved: August 16, 1652 – [London?]

In the name of God, Amen, I Thomas Locke being sick and weak in body, yet in perfect mind, do in the first place bequeath my soul to Almighty God my Saviour, and my body to the earth from whence I came.

Then I give and bequeath my [?] and whole estate unto my brother and Sister[s] equally to be divided amongst them which is formerly my [own] proper estate, and the estate which I purchased by mortgage of my wife Anne Hawkings.

I bequeath wholly unto Elizabeth daughter unto Richard Hawkings lately deceased with all woolen and [linen] clothes which formerly did properly belong unto her mother Anne Hawkings,

Also I give and bequeath unto the said Elizabeth Hawkings all estate or estates which formerly belonged unto Richard Hawkings in St. Christophers,

Also I give and bequeath all what shall be recovered from Mr. Peter [Leaire] to be for the use of the said Elizabeth Hawkings

Item I make and constitute my well beloved friend ME Thomas Browning Guardian of the said Elizabeth Hawkings to be a [help and assistant unto this] child until she comes to age,

Item I give and bequeath unto Tobyas Jannders one of the [stiff shirts] in the great chest he to take [his] [have]

Item I give and bequeath unto [George Snow] my Broad Cloth [shirt] which I wore on the Sabbath Days

Item I give unto Thomas Browning one pair of silk stockings, and to his wife Hester Browning my wife’s best [demy raster]

And to the performance of this my last will and testament I make my well beloved friends Mr. Thomas Browning and Mr. Andrew Piper overseers to see my said will performed

In witness of the [trueth] I set my hand and seal to this my last will and testament the day and year first above written, signed Thomas Locke; signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of John Welles, Thomas Sellers, Tobyas Jannders.

--

On the sixteenth day of August in the year of our Lord God one thousand six hundred fifty two a commission issued forth unto Peter Locke the natural and lawfull brother of the said Thomas Locke late deceased a widdower of the island of the Barbados in the parts beyond the seas, having good [rt] to administer the goods chattel and debts of the said deceased according to the tenon of the said last will, not any [cerntor] being therein named, the said Peter being sworne (by commission) truly to Administer the same.
-geo

George F. Locke
geolocke

Return to Surnames L