LYNCH, Barbados & Galway, Irish merchants

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LYNCH, Barbados & Galway, Irish merchants

Postby bimjim » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Seeking info on LYNCH in Barbados, a family of Irish merchants who originated in Galway, Ireland and were highly respected and successful merchants in Bridgetown from the 1600s, disappearing, possibly for Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, before 1800.

--

I am interested mainly in a Hasel, or Hazel, or Hassel, or Hassell LYNCH, whose parents were Anthony and Mary LYNCH and who may have been the father of my forebear Hamlet Mayers LYNCH.

--> Thomas Lynch b. circa 1625 (in Galway, Ireland?)
--> Monica (?) b. circa 1625 (married circa 1650?)
----> Anthony Lynch b. circa 1675
----> Mary L. Crane b. circa 1680?
------> Anthony Lynch was born circa 1710.
------> Mary (?) married before 1729.
--------> Hasell Lynch b. 16 Oct 1744
--------> Hasel or Hazel Lynch+ b. 16 Oct 1745

--

I am aware of Hamlet Fairchild LYNCH, who may have the same father (or who may even be the same person), but at present all I have to go on is the name Hamlet Mayers LYNCH - I have NO birth, christening, marriage, death or burial info about Hamlet Mayers LYNCH, but I do have an abstract of his Will.

--

From the book "Irish-American trade, 1660-1783", by Thomas M. Truxes, pages 95/96...

"There were Irishmen among the resident merchants of Barbados from at least the third quarter of the seventeenth century. Galway was the Irish town best represented in the early period. The Lynches, Blakes, and Frenches, all Galway families, remained important in the commercial life of Barbados and the West Indies even after the decline of the port's Atlantic trade.

In the early decades of the eighteenth century, for instance, Dominick & Anthony Lynch of Bridgetown were "Men of worth & Credit & to be depended upon for [their] knowledge of business," according to a London firm with correspondents throughout the British West Indies.

During the same years, the partnership of Blake & Lynch was well established among the great London commission houses in the sugar trade. Considerably smaller firms, most of them tied to Dublin and the ports of the north, appear to have taken the leading role in the island's direct trade with Ireland, specializing in the sale of salted provisions and linens and gathering cargoes of rum for the return home.

The plantation accounts of John Newton of Barbados, kept between 1756 and 1770, shed light on one of the leading Irish merchant houses in the Caribbean, Anthony Lynch & Sons of Bridgetown (known as Dominick & Anthony Lynch until the 1740s, and reorganized as Patrick & Dominick Lynch & Co. after 1766).

Newton was a substantial planter who consigned most of his sugar to commission houses in London, but a considerable share of his annual output took the form of rum, nearly all of which, along with some sugar, was placed in the hands of the Lynches. In addition, the Bridgetown firm provided nearly all the goods and services required by Newton's family, his three plantations, and six hundred slaves.

As town agents, Anthony Lynch & Sons acted as an intermediary between the planter and virtually all aspects of the Barbadian commercial world. In addition, the Lynches managed some of the business carried on between Newton and his correspondents in England, firms such as Messrs. Lascelles & Maxwell of London.

Expectedly, Anthony Lynch & Sons supplied Irish provisions and linens for the use of Newton's plantations, but its services were much broader, and the goods it offered were drawn from all of the ports that served the British West Indies. Entries in the firm's journal for a typical month detail the relationship between a town agency on Barbados and a wealthy planter. A long list of goods and services provided in April 1756 included "4 New Negroes at £32.io/" and "a Markg Iron," along with two barrels of pork, a keg of tallow, a cheese, a box of candles, a curry comb, a gold locket. That month, the Lynches paid portage fees and taxes owed by the plantation, and arranged the hire of a wherry to transport produce to Bridgetown."

--According to the Irish National Library's catalogue, there are documents/manuscripts there detailing commercial activities between Ireland and Barbados concerning a Michael LYNCH. Unfortunately it seems the only people who can afford to order any research copies from there would have to be millionaires, so until I make my first million I am unable to follow that particular thread,
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: LYNCH, Barbados & Galway, Irish merchants

Postby Barramum » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi.
I am researching Blake - see posting on website. There were many connections between Blake and Lynch. I am particularly interested in the Blake/Lynch connection in London. I would like to email you about this.

I have access to the National Library in Dublin and may be able to find the information you are looking for.

Hoping to hear from you,

Barramum
Barramum

Postby bimjim » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Here is the material about the Galway Lynch family of the Chateau Lynch-Bages vineyards...

The Lynch family

John Lynch of Galway, a distant descendant of Hugo de Lynch, companion of William the Conqueror, was born into a Catholic family established in Ireland since the twelfth century. At the end of the sixteenth century, following his king James II of England, he fled his country for France after the decisive battles of the Boyne and Aughrim were won by the Protestant William III, Prince of Orange.

Like many citizens of Galway driven from their homes, John Lynch moved to Bordeaux, a city somewhat similar to their own, with a bustling port and an important trading centre. He proved his worth early on, and quickly became a powerful and respected merchant. In 1709 he married Guillemette Constant and became a French citizen the following year. Two sons, Thomas-Michel and Jean-Arthur and a daughter, Jeanne-Catherine came to bless this marriage. In 1740, Thomas married Elisabeth Drouillard, daughter of Pierre Drouillard, a former knight, Treasurer of France and owner of the Bages estate since 1728.

On the death of Pierre Drouillard in 1749, the Bages estate naturally fell to Elizabeth and Thomas Lynch and their six children. Their second son, Jean-Baptiste, became without a doubt one of the most influential figures of the Lynch family in Bordeaux. First of all a lawyer, he was appointed by Louis XV in 1770, Counsellor to the Bordeaux Parliament before becoming president of the Second Chambre des Enquêtes (chamber handling inquests) to the same Parliament in 1783. Meanwhile, he received the Bages estate as a gift from his parents on the occasion of his marriage.

Imprisoned as a noble and wealthy landowner in 1793, Count of the French Empire in 1810, finally Peer of France during the reign of Louis XVIII, Jean-Baptiste was also a major figure in the history of Bordeaux: elected President of General Council of the Gironde in 1809, then mayor of Bordeaux under the Empire and ultimately honorary mayor of the city under the First Restoration.

Often absent from Bordeaux and absorbed in his public life, Count Jean-Baptiste Lynch was not able to supervise the operation of his Pauillac vineyards. The management of the property therefore devolved to his brother, Chevalier Michel Lynch, whose local position, as reported in contemporary documents, reflects the upheaval of those difficult years: a “Knight Esquire” in 1787, he became “Colonel of the National Guard Pauillac” in 1790, Active Citizen” in 1791, imprisoned in 1793, a simple “farmer” two years later, and finally President of the Canton of Pauillac in 1797. He retained the management of the Domaine de Bages until 1824, leaving behind him, like his brother, no heir.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Father Unknown Hasell
Mother Sarah Blake

Elizabeth [Lynch] Hasell
Birth ABT. 1715

Family Dominick Lynch, b. ABT. 1710
-- Married 29 Jul 1729 Barbados

Children
- 1. Harriett [Osborne] Lynch, d. 1775, Barbados, West Indies
- 2. Sarah Eleanor Lynch, b. 08 Aug 1734, Saint Michael, Barbados, d. 15 Jun 1808, Barbados (Assumption "Sarah Lynch")
- 3. Mary Elizabeth [Shorey] Lynch, b. 7 Dec 1735, d. 1798, Barbados
- 4. Elizabeth (Sarah?) Lynch, b. 18 Jul 1737, d. 1778
- 5. Patricia Lynch, b. 8 Feb 1740/41, d. 1794, Barbados
- 6. Dominick Lynch, b. 13 Nov 1742
- 7. Antonietta [Chaderton] Lynch, b. 10 Dec 1752, d. 1811, Barbados
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames L