Barbados and Scotland Links 1627-1877

Is there anything you have read that you think would be useful to others researching their genealogy? (Please supply the full name and author).

Postby bimjim » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:22 pm

David Dobson

Names of individuals, in alphabetical order, with their Barbados connections (in brief).
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: Barbados and Scotland Links 1627-1877

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

My family story is that William McLean went from Scotland to Barbados about 1715. His name seems to have been corrupted to McClean in Barbados as his son Alexander McClean was baptised in St Joseph on 15.9.1720. His mother was Susan but I cannot find his birth in Scotland for certain (there are only 4 William McLeans baptised on the OPR between 1650 & 1720), why he emigrated & if Susan was from Scotland also - I cannot find their marriage in Barbados. I would very much like to know why he left Scotland (i.e if he jumped or was pushed) & when. My family continued to live in the WI & I was born in Trinidad but now live in Dumfries area. Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby bimjim » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Sorry, no Susan Mclean's listed in this book, but I do have one William Mclean...

Mclean, William, married Ruth Holder Affleck, in St. Joseph's, Barbados in December 1779, parents of Ruth (bapt. 1782), William (bapt. 1785), Mary (bapt. 1793), Andrew (bapt. 1796) and Margaret (bapt. 1799) St. Joseph's, Barbados.

I also have Three Alexander Mclean's in this book...

Mclean, Alexander, was baptised in St. Joseph's, Barbados, 1720.

Mclean, Alexander, married Ann House, in St. John;s, Barbados, in 1739, parents of Daniel Howes, (bapt. 1741).

Mclean, Alexander, married Margaret Hutchinson, in St. John's, Barbados, on 6 June, 1767.

(I think it's safe to assume that "St. John's" and "St. Joseph's" are the Barbados parish Churches - still existing).

I also ran through both of my volumes of Sanders' "Barbados Records", Marriages (1 & 2), 1643 to 1800, no record of marriage for any McLean, Macclean or Macklean, but there is a single record for an Archibald Maclean (the Christian name is not on your list).

Maybe the LDS' IGI will have something close?

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for reply.
The William who married Ruth Affleck was the 9th child of Alexander bn 1720 who married Anne Howe (my family records show Howe not House). I have no knowledge of the Alexander who married Mgt Hurchinson, or Archibald. Possibly cousins. My line is Daniel, s/o Alexander, himself 2nd son of Alexander & Anne. Daniel's father, Alexander married Willoughby Mills on 1.3.1794 in St Joseph & Daniel Howe was their 7th child who married Rebecca Sarah Ward on 1.2.1828 in St John's.
This information comes from a family tree made by my ?great grandmother Laura Agusta Victoria McClean who married George Liddelow in Trinidad & the births & marriages that fall before 1800 is supported by the Sanders CD which I have. (I also have the Dobson book). I only discovered the tree when my cousin came to stay from California bringing it with him - it had been in his mother's bank vault! On the tree is the note "Evidently came from Scotland & settled in Barbados in the parish of St Michaels about 1715" & another note "Alexander McClean owner of Pilgrims Estate Barbados where he died on the 10th November 1782". I presume this is the first Alexander bp 1720 but could be the second. I have not found any records of deaths
Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 pm

I was notified by the administrator of this & am glad to reply. I am Laura May's great granddaughter & my maiden name was Newbold & Charles Etches N was my grandfather. The other children were
    Sidney (m.Vi Manning who was an aunt to Tom Knowles who married my father's sister Barbara Newbold, who died about a month ago)
    Laura May 1881-1963 as above
    Daisy m.Fred DeBoehmler (note your incorrect spelling)
    Dorothy ??
    Lily m.Frank Child*
    Marguerite m.Charlie Child* * brothers
    Mildred ?
    Kathleen m.Vosper ?
    Gerald ?
I do not know more about most of them, but have another person with whom I am in e-mail contact that I could ask if he would like to make contact with you if you like. His wife is a descendant of Frank Child & they live in the WI. Marjorie was a sister of my father & is not the same as Maruerite. She died on 19 Jan this year aged 99 yrs 6 mths. He might know more of Gerald - I think Marjorie knew him well but I never met him; in fact I knew few of them as we left Trinidad in 1940 & Jamaica in 1948 & then lived in Kenya, but Marjorie told me most of what I know. Can you please tell me where you live? I also found some info on the Liddelows.

best wishes Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 am

Hi I have written to Duncan & suggested he view this website as I do not have your e-mail & think we are not permitted to give it openly.
George Liddelow married laura McClean & one of their daughters was Laura May who married my father's father Charles Demorée Newbold. He (George L) died in Trinidad (Errol Park, St Ann's) on 10.1.1928 & I have an obituary on him but would need your e-mail to sent a scan'd edition to you. Duncan's connection was through Charlie Child not Frank as I indicated earlier. Laura died in 1929 also in Trinidad.

best wishes Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby alli » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 am

I am George Liddelow's great-grand-daughter from Trinidad. George's son, Gerald, is my father's father. As far as my family knows, Gerald had a son (my father) who still lives in Trinidad and a daughter who lives in England but he may have had other children.
alli

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:12 pm

alli
I am afraid I have no information on Gerald's family or any other information about a daughter who lived in England. sorry but I cannot help
Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby alli » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 pm

In fact, I was confirming, since you said that you had no information on the T'dad branch, that my father is Gerald's son and that he does have a sister who lives in England. When I was a child, we used to visit some of my father's cousins who also live in Trinidad. Some of my father's cousins are Tommy, Martin and Norman. I have never had any information on the Liddelows before so this is all very enlightening and exciting for me. I, myself, have two sisters.
alli

Postby Steph » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

hi. My grandfather was Arthur Liddelow (died 1948), he had 3 children with Rookmin in Trinidad and Tobago, Silvia, Judy and Winston (born 1955). Winston is my father. I'm assuming Arthur was George's son but i'm not sure. can anyone clear this up?
Steph

Postby bimjim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JNCZ-44X
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JF5N-ZJC

Two entries for a George Liddelow at Ellis Island. one b.ca.1852 Great Britain/African, Last Place of Residence: P. of S., Trinidad , the other b.ca.1895 Trinidad/English, Last Place of Residence: Trinidad.

It looks like the Ellis Island link to the image is free, so may be worth pursuing.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Recommended reading... Pass it along!