MARSHALL - Virgin Islands, St. Thomas

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MARSHALL - Virgin Islands, St. Thomas

Postby Marshall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

I am seeking information on Benjamin Marshall ("BM"), born ca. 1829 St Thomas, Virgin Islands.

The little information I have on BM is sourced from US and NY Census forms and a bit of family history. All Census data shows BM's bithplace to be the Virgin Islands except for 1870 Census data which indicates a bithplace of Spain. Perhaps this was intended by the Census enumerator to refer to the Spanish Virgin Islands.

BM's immigration to US occurred sometime before 1860, perhaps as early as 1839. There is to my knowledge no migration information/passenger ship lists on the subject. A Pedro Marshall did emigrated from the port of Guayanilla, Puerto Rico to New York in 1839. I have no idea if he is a relation. Family legend has it that BM left the Vigin Islands and first landed in New Orleans, but I put very little stock in this story.

Information on the most frequent emigration path from the Virgin Islands to the US for Islanders in the first half of the 19th Century would be helpful and appreciated. And, of course I would most grateful for any other information, specific or general, about Benajamin Marshall, or possible his relations, in the Virgin Islands.

Thank you.
Marshall

Return to US Virgin Islands