MCLEOD, CRUICKSHANK, SLATER, SPEED - Trinidad, Guyana

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MCLEOD, CRUICKSHANK, SLATER, SPEED - Trinidad, Guyana

Postby rosap » Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Searching for Edward Angus McLeod c.1853-1908, originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Captain of a ship that worked amongst the Caribbean islands in the mid to late-1800's.

I was told that he married a Jessie Cruickshank from Grenada, then settled in Georgetown, British Guiana where his 9 children were born. His youngest daughter, Jessie McLeod Slater (1886-1980) was my maternal Grandmother.

His eldest daughter, Ada McLeod Speed (1874-1951) was born on his ship and later married in Guyana to a Joseph Speed from Liverpool, England.

Some of the surnames from this family are: McLeod, Cruickshank, Slater, Bell, Speed, McLean, Crombie, Burns, Crooks, Lyon, Clavier.

I would appreciate any information on this family that comes my way.

Rosap
rosap

Re: MCLEOD, CRUICKSHANK, SLATER, SPEED - Trinidad, Guyana

Postby DBrough » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi,

You mention Clavier and there is a Clavier family, related to my wife, who came from Martinique and dispersed all over. Some went to Saint Lucia early to mid-1800s. They are really from the Berne/Clavier family of Martinique. I found this interesting thread on the web concerning the Claviers which is worth a read:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1031075599

Regards,
David
DBrough

Postby rosap » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi David,
My connection to the Clavier family is through Audrey Clavier, daughter of Dr. Clavier. Audrey married my uncle, my mother's brother, Leslie Wilfrid Slater, in Guyana then they later moved to Trinidad with their family. Unfortunately, I have no information on the other Clavier family members.
Rose
rosap

Postby DBrough » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Rose,

There was an Antoine Clavier who was born 1808 in Fort de France, Martinique and became a doctor in Paris in 1834. He married in Casties, Saint Lucia and was the son of Jean Pierre Clavier-Berne, who was the son of Marie-Anne veuve Clavier (Martinique) who was the daughter of Elisabeth (negresse libre de Martinique). I have not found any records on-line for Saint Lucia which is a shame because I have lots of information about the Claviers and Bernes in Martinique and Jean Pierre Clavier lived a long time in Saint Lucia and died there in 1853 - I know this from a marriage certificate of one of his children still in Martinique at the time. I will keep a look out for this now I have a name.

Here is something else I found:
"Mon grand-père le Dr Louis CLAVIER est né à Upton Lodge, Castries, Ste Lucie vers 1873, fils d’Alexandre et petit-fils d’Antoine, d’une famille originellement établie en Martinique. Mon père se rappelait avoir rendu visite à des parents à la Martinique quand il était jeune. Louis Clavier passa ensuite en Guyane britannique où il exerça".

So, the line here is: Antoine Berne has a son Alexandre. Alexandre has a son called Louis (born around 1873) who is a doctor. Looking at the dates and Louis being a doctor, the Antoine in this french text is quite possibly the one I mention above from Martinique.

Regards,
David
DBrough

Postby DBrough » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Rose,

Sorry - some other text in French to follow on from the last:

"Mon père se rappelait avoir rendu visite à des parents à la Martinique quand il était jeune. Louis Clavier passa ensuite en Guyane britannique où il exerça".

My father remembers visiting family in Martinique when he was young. Louis Clavier then went to British Guyana where he practised."

Regards,
David
DBrough

Postby rosap » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi David,
Many thanks for your two replies with very interesting information on the Claviers. I shall pass it on to Audrey's son.
Thanking you,
Rose
rosap

Postby DBrough » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Rose,

You are very welcome. If Audrey's son can make a connection with the Claviers mentioned above - probably the best way of doing that would be through a marriage certificate, then please come back and I will provide the internet links for births, marriages and deaths for all the Claviers I have in Martinique.
Regards,
David
DBrough

Postby rosap » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Many thank you's, David, for your interesting information and replies. I shall pass it all on to my cousin. I already have a copy of Leslie and Audrey's marriage certificate and if time allows I may add Audrey's family to my tree.
Thanking you,
Rose
rosap

Return to Trinidad