JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Postby Johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Searching for information on my grandfather Edward Johnson and his family. He was a part of the Salvation Army in Christ Church Barbados in the late 50's to mid 60's. I wrote to the Salvation Army in Christ Church but they never responded. Where else can I look for my grandfather's info in Barbados? I would really appreciate any help.
Johnson

Re: JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Postby Greener » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:27 pm

I knew an Edward Johnson who used to live on our street in the 50's & 60's but that was in St. Michael. Do you know any other information about your grandfather like brother, sister or parents? This family had a very fair complexion. This Edward had a brother named Neville and another Livvie which could stand for Livingston. I found an email address for Salvation Army http://www.salvationarmybarbados.org. This way you can address your email to a specific person. This next address has a lot of information regarding Barbadians https://familysearch.org.

Good luck.
Greener

Postby Johnson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Thank you for your reply. My dad didn't know too much about his dad. His parents separated before he was born.

My grandfather and his family came to live in Barbados when my grandfather was a child. I don't know where his family lived in Barbados.

Between 1950-1960 he was in the Salvation Army in Christ Church. How far is St Michael from Christ Church?

I don't know if my grandfather had any siblings. My grandmother told me he never mention any. My grandfather was white with red hair.

I tried writing and emailing the salvation army in Barbados but no reply.

My father has always wanted to know more about his dad and his family but I have not been able to find anything on him nor his family. I believe his parents died in Barbados.

My father died in the country Belize where my family is from. Do you think the Edward Johnson you knew could have been my grandfather? I would appreciate any help you can offer me on finding information on my grandfather and his family.

Thanks
Johnson

Postby bimjim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 am

Christ Church and St. Michael are adjoining parishes. Bridgetown (the capital) is in St. Michael on the south-west coast, Christ Church is in the middle of the south coast.

I could find no birth or marriage information for either Maurice or Mabel in familysearch.org.

Here is the burial record from Belize for Edward...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV2Y-GDVD

Edward Otto Johnson
Name: Edward Otto Johnson
Event Type: Burial
Event Date: 1973
Event Place: Belize City, , Belize, Belize
Birth Date: 27 Sep 1908
Death Date: 30 Aug 1973
Affiliate Record Identifier: 86045572
Cemetery: Lord Ridge Cemetery

Here is the burial record from Barbados for Mabel...

http://www.caribbeanfamilyhistory.org/B ... ?id=121414
Firstname: MABEL
Othernames: ANNIE TEMPLE
Lastname: JOHNSON
Date of Burial: 1945 Jul 9
Abode: ST. LAWRENCE GAP, "CALAIS"
Minister: MELLON, ALEX
Church: Westbury Cemetery
Place of Birth: ENGLAND
Rank/Occupation Widow
Reference: 41/46

There is a burial record for one Maurice, but he is listed as having been born locally.

Despite the different last name, this birth may still be the same person...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYMK-FZN
Mabel Annie Templer
England Births and Christenings
Name: Mabel Annie Templer
Christening Date: 25 Mar 1883
Christening Place: Gretton, Northampton, England
Father's Name: William Bradshaw Templer
Mother's Name: Sarah Ann Templer

Could this be her? (Age does not match)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJL4-NMV
Mabel Annie Temple-Johnson
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Name: Mabel Annie
Surname: Temple-Johnson
Last Place of Residence: Dartford, Kent, England
Event Date: 13 Jul 1911
Nationality: England
Departure Port: Bermuda
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: M
Ship Name: Tagus

And nationality Bermudian? (Age does not match)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJLQ-P3F
Mabel Temple-Johnson
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Name: Mabel
Surname: Temple-Johnson
Last Place of Residence: Somerset, Bermuda
Event Date: 03 Jul 1911
Nationality: Great Britain, English
Departure Port: Hamilton, Bermuda
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: M
Ship Name: Bermudian
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Greener » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello, I don't think that the Edward Johnson I knew was your grandfather. I noticed the below on an Ancestry message board and it seems like the person is looking for the same Edward Johnson, unless that is also your search.

Edward Johnson
Lourdes Ragland (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2012 5:08AM
Classification: Query
My grandfather Edward Otto Johnson came to Barbados as a child from England with his parents Maurice and Mabel Kane Johnson. I'm not sure of the year. It could be between 1910-1920. I'm trying to find out where his parents are buried in Barbados and whether my grandfather has any relatives living in Barbados. He was a member of the Salvation Army in Christ Church between 1936-1967. He was later transfer to the country Belize. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
If this is not you you may want to contact this person through Ancestry. It is a public tree "Raglan Family Tree"
Good luck
Greener

Postby Johnson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's my search. I was hoping the Edward you knew was my grandfather. I wish I knew where else in Barbados to search for information on him and his family.
Johnson

Postby Greener » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm sorry that I could not help. I'm also trying to find information on my grandfather and I think I will have to go home to Barbados as I cannot find anything ..
I wish you all the best in your search.
Greener

Postby Johnson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Thank you and good luck with your search on your grandfather.
Johnson

Postby Johnson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm a little curious about the Edward Johnson you mention. Can you tell me a little about what you knew about him. Did he ever mention if his mom or dad came from England? Do you remember how old he was? Was he called Red? He may not have been in the Salvation Army until the mid fifties. Thanks
Johnson

Postby Johnson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for the burial information you email me. Is it possible for you to provide me with the burial information you found on Maurice Johnson. I was provided with information on a Maurice Johnson found on the 1911 census from the UK. He was also born in Barbados. I would really like to compare information. There's no marriage record in England for Mabel Kane and Maurice Johnson. Wonder where they married? My grandfather mention living in Nassau as well. My dad told me he was a bootlegger in the late twenties to late thirties. Maybe that's why I'm having a hard time finding where he originated from. You found a Mabel Temple Johnson in Barbados. Is it possible that she was my grandfather mother? My dad was told by his mom his father's mother maiden name was Kane. I've been looking for a Mabel Kane Johnson. It would be wonderful if I could find the marriage license of Mabel and Maurice maybe then I would be able to know a little more about them. Ms. Stafford can only do an extended search in Barbados on my ancestors if my grandfather family originated from Barbados. She can not research the records held by the registrar. Thanks again for your help.
Johnson

Postby Greener » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Below is a link to the burial record for Maurice. You can use this link to check out all of the Johnson's that are buried in this cemetery.
http://www.caribbeanfamilyhistory.org/B ... x?id=64350

Below is the Barbados white pages. There is an Edward Johnson in Christ Church may be related to your family. Or you can search all of the other Johnson's. I did notice that there are no listings for Kane in the directory, but Cain.... you know how names get misspelled over the years. http://barbadosyp.com/Barbados/Resident ... rd/profile
Greener

Postby Johnson » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I email you at your hotmail email address.
Johnson

Postby Greener » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm

I received it. You can reach me at either one. Did you receive my reply?
Greener

Postby Johnson » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Email address deleted.

Please see the very clear and simple Terms Of Use - the next violation will result in deregistration and removal of ALL of your Posts without further notice.
http://www.candoo.com/surnames/viewtopic.php?t=1090

Private Messaging is available on this Index.
Johnson

Postby Greener » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:31 pm

I've resent the email.
Greener

Return to Surnames J