JOHNSON, Nathan Mystic, CT to Bahamas to Key West

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

JOHNSON, Nathan Mystic, CT to Bahamas to Key West

Postby TedJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Ted Johnson looking for any additional info on Nathan Johnson, born 1791, Mystic, CT and went to Bahamas before 1811.
Nathan Johnson 1st marries Martha Witty in 1811, she died in 1814 and he left Bahamas shortly after her death but returned about 1815.

Nathan returns to Hope Town, Abaco and has a second marriage to a Catherine, b. 1793 married before 1816. Don’t know if they married in Canada, CT or after returning to Bahamas. They have 4 children: Henry Baker JOHNSON b. abt 1816 Cherokee Sound, Bahamas 1850’s immigrated to Key West, Martha Elizabeth JOHNSON b. Dec 11, 1819, c. June 13, 1820, Abaco, Bahamas, William Gardner JOHNSON b. Dec 3, 1821, c. Feb 23, 1822, Abaco, Bahamas, d. 27 Jan 1902 Key West immigrated to Key West 1845 and my GG Grandfather Thomas JOHNSON b. 18 May 1824, d. abt 1853 Hope Town, Abaco) planter and seaman, sp: Charlotte M. BETHEL (b. Nov 1830 and they have 3 kids: Belice b. 8 Aug 1848, William Eldridge JOHNSON b. 20 Sep 1850, Great Harbour, Abaco and Emily Ellen JOHNSON b. 25 Mar 1853. William moved to Port Orange, FL in 1867 and Port Orange is still the home to many of Thomas, Charlotte, and Williams descendants. Charlotte Bethel Johnson had a 2nd marriage to Edward Russell b. 1828 and moved to Key West in 1873, had a total of 12 children, with 9 living per the 1900 Key West FL Census.
I was able to prove Nathan and Catherine Johnson were the parents of Thomas thru the Bahamas DNA Project.

I took the DNA test April 09 and was a match with one Johnson whose family was from the Bahamas and whose descendants now live in Key West. I was able to prove the connection from a Nov. 09 email from the Bahamas Archives stating that they had found the birth record for Thomas Johnson, b. May 18, 1824 to Nathan and Catherine Johnson of Abaco, the same parents as the father of Henry Baker, Martha Elizabeth and William Gardner Johnson.

In the 1870 Port Orange, Volusia Co., FL Census their son and my G Grandfather William Eldridge Johnson age 21, sailor was boarding with a Susan Davis, b. 1817 in CT and Daniel H. Davis, age 18 b. in Bahamas. Somehow I think there is some connection with CT. Also boarding there was Simeon Bennett, sailor RI and Edward Dossan, age 24 England.
Looking for any additional info on Nathan Johnson or Catherine Johnson or Thomas Johnson and Charlotte Bethel Johnson. I want nothing but to share a lot of info and photos and hopefully fill in a few blanks in our family history lines.
There is another marriage of a Nathan Johnson abt. 1836 to Sarah Curry or Mary Ann Cury (m. 1836 or June 1837 , Eleuthera Island, per the Dolly Mae CD.
In 1837 Nathan Johnson left the Bahamas and went to Key West per a 1837 passenger list. He does not appear in the FL Census and may have returned to Bahamas or CT.
many thanks
Ted E. Johnson, Jr.
TedJ

Return to Surnames J