Location - West Crdey, St. Vincent

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Location - West Crdey, St. Vincent

Postby Gordon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I have a potential relative who was born, according to the British census, in West Crdey, St. Vincent in 1813. Obviously an abreviation but, of what?

Does anyone recognize this?
Gordon

Re: Location - West Crdey, St. Vincent

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 am

With such hilly terrain - from shore to volcano crater, 360 degrees - I doubt there is a West Anything in St. Vincent.

The word "Crdey" only turned up in my searches of the Net where an OCR of a document had been made and the software just put in a word it seemed to like... in one instance the text was clearly and sharply a house for rent in "Unley", but the OCR interpreted it as Crdey. Another looked like it was originally "Orley".

So I suggest you start refocusing on finding your source document and see if you can view the original and try to decipher what the text really started out as.

Other than that, try to find some clues as to the location, and then try to puzzle the words West Crdey into some location name around there, even a single long word that starts with W, M or even N that could be interpreted as "Westcrdey" (the OCR may have split the name in the middle and capitalised the second). Using Google Earth may help, but many place names used locally may not be on there.

There is a Clare Valley, Questelles and Mesapotamia but, until you see the original, IMHO that OCR could have seen almost anything and spit out what you found.

It was clearly an early incarnation of OCR, for sure!!
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Gordon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Bimjim:

Thanks. Good ideas and observations. I'll look into them to see what I can find.

I tried finding old maps but they did not reveal anything. The handwriting on the original census may be the key.

Thanks again.
Gordon

Postby Gordon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:27 pm

You were correct. I looked at the original and it says West Indies. I do not know how they came up with West Crdey.

Thanks.
Gordon

Return to St. Vincent