GRIMES, EDMEADE - St. Kitts, Bassetterre

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GRIMES, EDMEADE - St. Kitts, Bassetterre

Postby Rozcat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:27 pm

My Greatgrandmother was related to the Edmeades from St. Kitts. Olive Grimes (b. 1882 St. Kitts- d. 1958 NYC) has two sisters whose maiden names were Edith Edmead and Louise Edmead. They all came from St. Kitts to New York City around 1902 with their Mother Clementine McLaughlin Edmead.

I visited St. Kitts in 2009 with my Mother. I would love to correspond with anyone with the same interests.

Rosalind
Rozcat

Re: GRIMES, EDMEADE - St. Kitts, Bassetterre

Postby ROM » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:44 pm

My mother's (Frances Edmead Ogburn) parents are Henrietta Caines and Joseph Edmead. Henrietta Caines was born in St. John's parish and died at a young age after giving birth to four children, Samuel, Jane, Frances, and Alice. Her children were raised in Tabernacle as far as I was able to determine. My mother, Frances, was around 7-years-old when Henrietta died. The father of Henrietta’s eldest three children, Joseph Edmead relocated to New York when his children were young. Joseph Edmead’s 3 children went to live with his mother, Jane Ann [Boyce] Caines, after Henrietta’s death. Alice Caines, the youngest of her children went to live with the child’s paternal relations.
My mother, Frances, is now 93-years-old and remembers little of her relations. She was brought to the US around 1950. Here is an impromptu list of her maternal and paternal relatives that she does remember:

Henrietta Caines (born in St John's parish; date unknown) relatives:

William Caines, Step-brother
Samuel “Kwame” Caines, father
Sarah Daveron, maternal-sister
Phoebe Ann Caines (deceased young), maternal-sister
Caroline Osborne, maternal-aunt
William Thomas uncle???,
Phoebe [Caines] Paul (US married), paternal-sister

Children of Henrietta and Joseph Edmead:
Samuel Edmead
Jane Caines Edmead
Frances Edmead (married name: Ogburn) (b. April 22, 1921)
daughter of Henrietta by father unknown Alice Caines

Joseph *Edmead (b. 1896), relatives:

Jane Ann [Boyce] Caines (husband – John Caines), mother
James (Jimbo) Edmead, father
JK Edmead, paternal-uncle
Margaret Caines, sister
Sarah Caines, sister
Frances Caines (deceased young), sister
Louisa Gardner (married name), paternal-grandmother
Joe (Joseph??) Brown, paternal-uncle
Eileen Edmead, Blanche Edmead, Yvonne Edmead (also related to Henrietta Caines) (children of Joseph’s brother), nieces

*Some Edmead[e] family members add an "e" to the end of their last name, "Edmeade." My grandfather, Joseph Edmead, chose not to do so in America.
ROM

Re: GRIMES, EDMEADE - St. Kitts, Bassetterre

Postby dee matthew » Sat May 23, 2015 12:59 am

Hi Rom, I found lots of Caines connection including Phoebe Ann Caines (deceased young), maternal-sister on www.familysearch.org. Keyword just about any Caines name you can recall, and they pop up in droves. I'm researching my mother's maternal lineage from her mom, Agnes Caines back, and for the first time I found all the essential information that I need to work on my family tree, including my great-grandmother's maiden name. I'm sure you'll find it helpful. Strangely enough, it's a free site, with payment requested only for advanced features-if needed, but it works such great wonders in the free aspect that you might not want to go any place else. Best to you.

BTW - We're on the same branch of the family tree, in very close proximity.
dee matthew

Return to St. Kitts