AMORY - Guyana, Caribbean other

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

AMORY - Guyana, Caribbean other

Postby abollers » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Seeking info on any Amory family perhaps in the UK particularly with Guyana connections. My great grandmother was Alexandra nee McQuay Amory who died in the early 1900s. Thanks, Alan Bollers
abollers

Re: AMORY - Guyana, Caribbean other

Postby hill0788 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:06 am

:lol: Hi

My GGG Grandparents were (from information that my Grandmother gave me): Governor Amory and Barbara Rosevelt. He was supposed to have been a Governor of St. Eustasius Island. His daughter, Mary Amory married John Abbott Howe of St. Kitts, B.W.I. John Howe's family was in the newspaper busines. I am seeking more info on the Amorys. Please contact me, if possible.
Thank you, Beth Hill
hill0788

Postby bollersa » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Beth, Are you sure about Amory being a Governor of St Kitts? This site has the list of leaders: http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Saint_Kit ... Nevis.html

The only Amory is Vance Amory, past premier, which is good news since his genealogy might be well established--a path to pursue.

I know nothing more of my great-great grandmother or the Amory she married. I know she came out from Scotland to an island colony, which could have been St Kitts, but not sure. She was a notorious woman. She ended up in British Guiana and had at least one son Alexander Amory; I'm not sure where he was born or who his descendants are either. I notice you also had another post where you mentioned a Rawlins. I have a cousin from St Kitts who, I believe, has a grandmother who was a Rawlins. I will check with him also to see if he has any Amory contacts in St Kitts. Please lets keep in touch and I will share any info I get. Alan Bollers, AL, USA
bollersa

Postby bollersa » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Please disregard my last post. I misread you on St. Eustasius Island. Sorry. I will however try to track down the clue on Mary Amory who married John Abbott Howe of St Kitts and the Rawlins mentioned in your other post. Sorry again. Alan Bollers
bollersa

Postby hill0788 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi :lol:

I have found a Benjamin, Joseph and William Amory on St. Eustatius Island in 1781 on the Rodney Rolls, no females listed. St. Eustatius was a Dutch Island and the British moved in and took it over. A lot of inhabinants were sent elsewhere and the remainder were listed on what came to be known as the "Rodney Rolls," after the leader of the British.

I have also learned that my Governor Amory's parents were James Amory and Catherine Roosevelt. Can any add to this information on my Amorys?

Beth Hill
hill0788

Amory, new info

Postby hill0788 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:08 pm

I was mistaken earlier about who I thought was Governor Amory. I have since learned his name was John Amory and his wife's name was Barbara Halliburton Margaret Earle. He was not a Governor, but a Merchant.

Her father was John Earle who wrote the famous Cayon Diary. He wrote in it their names and marriage date. They lived in St. Mary's Cayon Parish. Her mother was Barbara Halliburton Mathies, she died in childbed.
Barbara had an older sister, Elizabeth.

John's parents were James Amory and Catherine Roosevelt.

John Amory and Barbara Earle had 5 or six children, one named Mary married John Abbott Howe of St. Kitts. The son of Thomas Risden Howe and grandson of Thomas Howe, all were in the newspaper business.
hill0788

Postby nicb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:44 am

I have an Amory ancestor too! :)

This reply is several years after the last post, so hopefully this will get seen...

My great-great grandmother was Ada F. Amory. She was likely born around 1850, give or take a few years, and died sometime in the 1920s in Georgetown, British Guiana. She had three illegitimate sons, all born in BG - William Henry Watson, Charles Gore Reeder and Frederick N. Betts. There is a family story that she might have come from St. Kitts - and I have seen that there was an Amory family there, at least in the late 1700s. On the American censuses, which ask where parents were born, her son Fred stated "BG" on one census, and "England" on another - though I've found no record of her in England. Our family has only recently learned her name...we had believed her last name was Gore, but we recently were able to track down her son Fred's marriage certificate in New York in 1910, where she is listed as Amory, not Gore (I do believe there is an Amory/Gore connection, and now believe her father was Amory, perhaps from St. Kitts, and her mother was Gore). We also have a transcription from the 1960s from an old family member talking about the three brothers and their mother, and her name is given as "Miss Amoury" in the transcription - since we had thought that her last name was Gore, we had assumed that "Amoury" might have been a mispronunciation or misspelling of her first name, like maybe "Emily" - but we now know she was Ada F. Amory.

The only other Amory's in BG that I have found are:

From the directory transcriptions on the BG Genealogical Society website:

1. Arthur Amory - clerk in the 1860 directory
2. F.J. Amory - clerk in the 1860 directory
3. Arthur A. Amory - clerk in the 1898 directory
4. Arthur A. Amory - clerk in the 1904 directory

On the British Commonwealth Graves Commission website, there is a listing for a Richard Gore Amory, who died in WW2 in 1944 aged 22, son of Arthur Alexander Amory and his wife Ellen of Georgetown, British Guiana.

If this links up with anybody, or if anyone can shed any light on this, I'd love to hear.
Nicola :D
nicb

Postby bollersa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Dear Nicola, maybe I've hit the jackpot here. I would like to connect with you; perhaps we are even related? It's been many years since I checked this forum for Amory information; hopefully you will see this.

I do know my great-grandmother had an illegitimate son by the name of Watson; oral family history says she came to B.G from St Kitts from somewhere in the UK which comports with your information. In fact William Henry Watson's son (or grandson) was, thru out his life, great friends with my uncle, George Benson; George Benson Jr., my cousin, remains in contact with the current living Watson descendant of this line.

My great-grandmother's son was, without doubt, Arthur Alexander Amory; he was known to my mother, Flora Benson Bollers, as Uncle Sandy (aka Alexander). His son Richard Gore Amory was killed in action in July 1944. He was a navigator-bombardier on a Lancaster that was downed, likely during the "Battle of Berlin". He rests in Cambridge. It was from him that I inferred the name Gore too was likely in my family tree.

From my mother's memory: Richard Gore Amory had two sisters, Nordica, who married Dr. T. Mook-Tang of Bartica; their descendants are in Canada. The other sister...her, name escapes me for the moment, married a Low and moved to England (with a son Nick?). (Could this be you Nicola?)

Arthur Alexander Amory's wife was Ellen Phang, from the Chinese diaspora to BG. Interestingly, Ellen Phang's nephew, Dr. Roy Pang DD, married my first cousin Maureen Bollers, both now deceased. Their three children reside in London where Jonathan Pang is a well-known TV personality, author and famous haute’ cuisine culinary artist.

My great grandmother’s name was always a mystery. We thought her it might be Alexandra or Adrianna but could never able to establish that with surety. We do know she was quite notorious and had children out of wedlock, but my gosh ...3! The Watson name was the only certain name and, thus, coincides with your information about Ada F. Amory.

The dates you give for Ada F. Amory 1850 to ~1920s is about right for my great-grandmother. So, happily for me, she met her last love in my great-grandfather, George Cushmore Benson. My great grandparents had two children: George Allen, my grandfather and, his sister, Flora Benson.

I believe the great grandmother mystery might be solved; I will continue research with the assumption that my great grandmother name is Ada F. Amory.

Here is something you might investigate in connection with the Amory-Gore connection. Look into:
GORE, Augustus Frederick C.M.G. Born: ABT 1826, Married AUSTIN, Eliza Arabella: The Cathedral, Parish of St. George, Died: 21 SEP 1887, London ENG. He was a British Army Officer, initially posted to St Kitts then BG. I speculated he might be related to my great-grandmother, possibly a guardian-cousin. You will find his ancestry in Burke's Peerage and a link to the Gore name. Notice that Ada Amory's son's names: One is a Gore and the other a Frederick; perhaps coincidence but highly suspicious given your information about those brothers and your conclusion the Gore name is in the family tree. Regards (cousin) Alan Bollers
bollersa

Return to Surnames A