ALLAN, Sarah Ann - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ALLAN, Sarah Ann - Jamaica

Postby Kiwi researcher » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi

Sarah Ann ALLAN was, according to Scottish census records born in Jamaica in 1824.
Her father was John ALLAN and her mother Mary nee CAMPBELL.
She married Charles Fraser FALCONER in Sept 1849 in Petty, Inverness, Scotland.
She died in Jan 1886 in Croy & Dalcross, Inverness, Scotland.

I am seeking any suggestions / help in finding out more information about Sarah and her family.
Why were her parents living in the West Indies in the 1820s?

Thank you..........

Dunedin
New Zealand
Kiwi researcher

Re: ALLAN, Sarah Ann - Jamaica

Postby Tim Hall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello,

I was so happy to find your post last night. Sarah Ann Allan was my great-great-grandmother. I too was always bewildered by the 3 census records that listed her birthplace as Jamaica. I didn't think much of it, until last night when I found some old notes taken by my late mother (she must have been talking to my grandfather or one of my great-aunts, about 40 years ago). Among the names she listed on the Falconer side she had written the words "Jamaica uncle"! So there must be something to this. Maybe the Allans and even a Falconer really did leave Scotland for a while to spend some time in Jamaica.

Now, here's where I can help: Sarah's husband was not Charles Falconer, it was James Falconer, the parish schoolmaster in Croy (1796-1873). She was his second wife, and almost certainly one of his students. He fathered 20 children by his two wives, my great-grandmother Mary Jane being the youngest. Only about 4 or 5 of those 20 children have any descendants living today as far as I can tell. I have pictures of James and Sarah which I would be happy to share.

Charles Falconer, born about 1856 (if I recall correctly - I'm away from my notes), was actually James and Sarah's son. Verbal family history tells us he went to New Zealand (as did one of his brothers, which I have recently been able to confirm). We THINK Charles had a son (or more likely a grandson) named Colin Falconer, a pilot with ANZAC who was apparently shot down in World War II. My great-aunt Helena "Lena" Hay Brackenborough used to correspond with him, and even got to meet him once near the start of the war (I have a picture of him as well).

I see you are located in Dunedin, which I believe is near where my old Falconer cousins lived. Are you descended from Sarah Ann? If so, we are cousins. I have wondered for years if we had any Falconer cousins still living in New Zealand. I live near San Diego, California USA. Mary Jane's descendants (the Hay family) are mostly in Canada, but two sons including my grandfather emigrated to the US in the 1920s. Other Falconer descendants are living in England (I have not been able to make contact).

I'd be very happy to hear from you, and tell you more about our Falconer ancestors if you are interested. I'm very eager to learn about the New Zealand (and Caribbean?) Falconers.

Best regards,
Tim Hall
Tim Hall

Re: ALLAN, Sarah Ann - Jamaica

Postby Kiwi researcher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Tim

I made a mistake in the posting re name of husband

This is my ex-wife's family but I continue to work on it

Please send me a Private Message.
Kiwi researcher

Return to Surnames A