ASHFORD, ATKINS, COOMBS - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ASHFORD, ATKINS, COOMBS - Barbados

Postby hapagirl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm

I am seeking information about the family of Robert Ashford, born in Barbados in 1788, the illegitimate son of Robert Ashford and Susanna Atkins. He was taken as a child to Maine and adopted by a Captain Coombs. His father, Robert, appears to have been married to Ann Ashford with whom he had a number of children.
hapagirl

Re: ASHFORD, ATKINS, COOMBS - Barbados

Postby redears » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 am

Hi,
I am assuming you probably are referring to Robert Ashford's father and mother. I don't have anything on them, but just doing some research I came across this post. Robert, who came to Maine, actually married my 4th great aunt, Sarah Eastman. I am originally from Harpswell, Maine where she was born. Ironically, however, we moved to Litchfield where they lived and raised their children. They are buried in the Plains Cemetery here.

redears
redears

Postby hapagirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 am

We must be cousins of some sort, because Robert Ashford was my grandmother's grandfather, and I spent much of my childhood summers in her house in Litchfield, which you no doubt know well. Our Ashfords were in Barbados from the 1600's. I believe the first Robert Ashford was a Quaker, at least his brother, James, was. I find it almost impossible to wrap my mind around the idea of slave owning Quakers, but apparently that was the case. If you are interested, I could provide you with some information about the family, but records in Barbados are very incomplete for various reasons. I live in Hawaii, so am somewhat distant from the source, but as a retired librarian, I simply cannot let go of a reference question! The more I read about Barbados in that time, the more I realize that our Robert was well out of it.
hapagirl

Postby redears » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 am

I would love what information you have! Through which child are you a descendent? I am fairly new at coming across these members of my (our) family and am still finding information. It seems Robert was quite influential here. I haven't checked on maps or deeds. Do you have any recollection of your grandmother's address or landmarks? Living here, I have been so curious as to whereabouts they lived and thought how neat it is that they may have been right around me. It's nice knowing there is another live descendent out there, since I'm usually only finding those that have passed. Do you know if there are others?

Nice "hearing" from you,
Lori
redears

Postby hapagirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am

How curious that we should connect through this website! I am a descendant of Robert's son, Anthony Coombs Ashford. The family farm was sold in recent times, and my elderly uncle, Norman Knight, built a house on a piece of the property on Hallowell Road. My mother,who lives in Newburyport, Mass., also has a house on the family property on Loon Pond. Robert was adopted by Anthony Coombs and lived for some time in Harpswell. If you feel comfortable about sharing your email address, I could send you a picture of the Ashford farm in Litchfield, as well as some other information. You might look for Ashford Brook on the map - it runs right through the farm.
hapagirl

Postby redears » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 pm

I would love whatever information you have and pictures! I think tomorrow I am going to go out "stalking". I live on Huntington Hill Road and both roads are very close by. What a small world. Tbere used to be a Combs Construction in Harpswell. On the way down to to the islands off 24 tbere is a Combs Road. My aunt, 65 now, dated "Leo" (nickname) Combs from Harpswell. He passed away a year or so ago from cancer. I know of his daugbter, Helen.
Lori
redears

Postby hapagirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Lori,

Contact me by Private Message here and I will send you more information.

Susan
hapagirl

Return to Surnames A