ANDERSON - Jamaica, Portland or Clarendon

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ANDERSON - Jamaica, Portland or Clarendon

Postby vmanderson » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:50 pm

I am Verona Anderson looking for anyone who has any information to tell me about my family - mother is Eunice Anderson; grandmother is Verna Smart; great grandmother is Triphena (sp?) White (Mama White). That's all I know though.
vmanderson

Re: ANDERSON - Jamaica, Portland or Clarendon

Postby dorrmckenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm

My father half sister's aunt Margaret Louise Bignall b. 1877-1933 married James Anderson b. 1874. They were married June 30, 1908 in Kensington, Manchioneal Portland. I haven't the vaugest if he is related, but It's good to take a look at any information gathered. I believe Margaret Louise Bignall mother is white and maybe of John Scott heirs. They inherited lot of land in the Pleasant Hill/Kensington area.

Best Regard,
Dorit
McKenzie
dorrmckenzie

Postby Benjamin Trini » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 pm

My great grandmother was Estelle Celestina Anderson from Portland, Jamaica. She married Isaac Augustus Kildare and they had 5 children (between 1909 and 1919): Frances Viola, Elbet Washington, Ciceline Icilda, Kelvin Livingstone, Israel Augustus,Wellesley George, and Louisa Isabel.

Don't know if they are any relation to the Andersons you are searching for. Hope it helps.
Benjamin Trini

Postby rosefowles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 am

Five Anderson brothers left Scotland and went to Clarendon. From Clarendon one went to Portland and one went to Panama. The Andersons in Colon Panama are related to the Andersons from Clarendon.
rosefowles

Postby Sunkissed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Looking for information on Elizabeth Anderson who had children by Edward Hicks, officer in the 70th Regiment of foot, stationed in British West Indies ca 1765 to 1775. We know he was in Grenada and Tobago (owned land at Crown Point). He was born in New York, but his mother was a Ricketts whose cousins still lived in Jamaica. His Walton cousins were merchants who sailed frequently to the West Indies.

Children of Edward and Elizabeth, who were most likely born in BWI were Edward Hicks Jr, later a Major in the 70th, died in West Indies, Charles Hicks, 24th Reg., Anna Hicks, William Hicks, Elizabeth Hicks. He also had a daughter Mary, (we believe she was the eldest) daughter of Mary Mawbey. All children are listed in his will written in Halifax, Canada, in 1781.

Any connections?

Thanks!
Sunkissed

Postby ros » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 pm

Has anyone got any further information on the five Anderson brothers who arrived in Jamaica from Scotland, ie. the period 1700s, 1800s? Their names?

My family Is Anderson from Grantham, Clarendon, with connection to the Mills family.
ros

Postby rosefowles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm

My great grand mother Ruth Scott was married to Amaziah Anderson 1908. And I know that Ruth Scott was a cousin to ??Kildare and their lands were adjoining in Hope Field.
rosefowles

Postby Andykidd » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:50 pm

ros wrote:Has anyone got any further information on the five Anderson brothers who arrived in Jamaica from Scotland, ie. the period 1700s, 1800s? Their names?

rosefowles wrote:Five Anderson brothers left Scotland and went to Clarendon. From Clarendon one went to Portland and one went to Panama. The Andersons in Colon Panama are related to the Andersons from Clarendon.

Hello,

Rosefowles -- In the story you have been told, did the remainder of the brothers remain in Clarendon?

I am researching the Andersons that settled in Albion Mountain, St. Mary. I think it's fascinating that I've been told a story about Anderson Brothers arriving from Scotland and being sent to parishes of Hanover, Clarendon, Kingston, Trelawny, St. Mary and, now I see that one of the brothers possibly went on to Panama.

I was also told that they were sent to be placed in positions of policing or overseers. It turns out that my great-great-grandfather is one Robert Menzies Anderson (supposedly one of said Anderson brothers from Scotland) who was the first police sergeant of St. Mary.

When his son, Robert Armstrong Anderson, wed, the witness was a "Charles Anderson". I would like to find out more about Charles and all the other Andersons. A relative of mine, now deceased, told me that he had met other Andersons around Jamaica and that they had similar physical features.

Happy to receive any all all feedback regarding the Anderson Brothers. Thank you.
Andykidd

Postby rosefowles » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:29 am

From what I have been told is that Andersons in Clarendon are related to the Andersons in Hope Bay. I was able to confirm my g-g-g-grandfather Robert Anderson was from St. George's parish and he was married to Juliet Anderson Anderson.
rosefowles

Postby Andykidd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 am

@rosefowles: Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the family member who told me about his experiences with Andersons in other parishes is now deceased and the living relatives are not as informed about the past.

I think these two bits of information are quite interesting:
  • that we have heard the story of brothers from Scotland being told;
  • Andersons in different parishes related.

Robert Menzies Anderson would be have been born in Scotland about 1820 or so. I found what I believe to be the registration of his death in St. Mary and that would have been his estimated year of birth.

Robert Menzies Anderson's son Robert Armstrong Anderson had 11 documented children with my great grandmother and I will list the names in case there may be similar names in your Anderson family history: Theodore Augustus, Isadora Amelia, Ernest Archibald, Horace, Ellen Eliza, Julia Theresa, Austin Constantine, Florence Louiser, Robert, Edgar Benjamin, Doris.
Andykidd

Postby Lloydilicous » Sun May 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi there

I am a descendant of William Anderson from Coxswain, Rock River, Jamaica. He is my great great great grandfather, his daughter Charlotte Anderson is my great great grandmother from Coxswain, Clarendon.

If these names are familiar let me know as I am currently doing my family tree.
Lloydilicous

Postby lawrence » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Okay Pindar’s Valley! This is good start... maybe you can help me.

Can you check your family tree to see if Sister Charlotte had any brothers and sisters they were called John, Philip, Sister Bell and Emily (she is the one I’m focused on). Time line 1880-1910. Their mother was Jane (Aka Barwood).
lawrence

Postby Lloydilicous » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, Sister had several siblings, some I know or heard relatives speak off, and from my research she had two brothers named Phillip & John.
Last edited by Lloydilicous on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lloydilicous

Postby lawrence » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am

Well you’re going to need some serious head-piece working on PetersHill! See you’re in box
lawrence

Postby suegrogan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am

Hi, I believe one of my ancestors was connected to the 5 Anderson brothers - Custace Anderson - who was an overseer. Have not got any timeframes unfortunately
suegrogan

Next

Return to Surnames A