RICHARDSON/ASHLEY FAMILY SEARCH ASSISTANCE SOUGHT

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

RICHARDSON/ASHLEY FAMILY SEARCH ASSISTANCE SOUGHT

Postby jricho » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:52 am

RICHARDSON - Australia, Sydney
Hi,
My name is John Richardson and I am from Australia. I am trying to do some research on my family history, as my father is 79 years old and would like to know something about our heritage before it is too late. My great grandfather, named wither, John Ashley or John Richardson was born in Jamaica in about 1837 (no exact date). He left Jamaica (unknown date) and came to Australia. He met and married my great grandmother, Priscilla Moore, from Tamworth, Australia and they married in 1883. They had, to my knowledge, about nine children, one of them being my grandfather John Augustus Richardson. I would appreciate any help or assistance from anyone who could unlock this mystery. Thank you.

Regards

John Richardson
jricho
jricho

Postby bimjim » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:34 pm

From the Mormons' IGI (International Genealogical Index) database on-line...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

I inserted John Richardson and Region Caribbean Islands, but all were in Barbados. Then I inserted John Ashley and found this:

--

John Ashley - International Genealogical Index
Husband
- John Ashley
- Birth: About 1817 Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica, Caribbean
Wife
- Elizabeth Johnson
- Birth: About 1820 Cherry Hill, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica, Caribbean
Marriage: 06 DEC 1840 Lititiz, Saint Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica, Caribbean

--

By changing the Region (halfway down the web page) from Caribbean Islands to British Isles and/or other areas like Australia/New Zealand you may find a few more specks of info... whetever notes you see, you CAN just insert the surname name and it will return all instances of the Christian name/surname for that selected region.

There are quite a few Ashley's... when you see a record of interest, click on the link/s shown and there may be more information in layers below. (** Don't forget to search for the Richardson surname too!! **)

Quick note: The IGI returns surnames using Soundex, so you will get all surnames with the same sound or derivation... sometimes that aspect is really good food for thought - and great leads for research!!

Another note: There are many family trees populated with wishful thinking ("Hey, I'm related to King George VI/Rasputin/Napoleaon/[your favourite royalty here]!!"), and to do your job properly you don't need all that garbage. Simply take your notes and, as always, I suggest you VERIFY any info you get there... the IGI accepts unverified uploads of family trees, including such "wishful thinking" entries.

For searching actual records, your first lines of research, in the Caribbean, would be the Mormons' microfilms. To access this resource, go to your local Reference Library (or other large library) which has microfilm reader machines (** Important: with photocopy capabilities, so you can print your records for yourself and future generations **) and inquire about the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) program.

The Mormons in Salt Lake City are part of that ILL program and offer their microfilms of Caribbean records for a nominal fee - about $6 per film per month, I think, in North America. Order two films initially, and if you need more time you can add a month at a time.

Try to find a library with other Jamaican records, or or borrow through the ILL scheme from another library (I don't know if it is valid outside North America).

In a large library also look for a genealogy section (the Toronto Reference Library has a very large one, as well as another historical area with info about immigrants) and browse through looking for census, passenger and other lists, books with indexes, anything that might help. Curiosity and coincidence have played a major part in my own research!!

I'm sorry, I don't know about Australian records, but if you surf around on Rootsweb.com you may find some resources there. If I were you I would be wary or registering on those email-based Discussion Forums, as they are also archived to the public - at the same time opening your email address to harvesting by SPAMmers.

Also surf around on http://www.cyndislist.com - a very useful site, sometimes.

Perhaps another avenue of research for you might be to find an Australian or regional/local genealogy association to consult about regional/local research methods.

Best of luck...

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Thank You

Postby jricho » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 am

Dear Jim
Thank you so much for your help. I had no idea where to start. I have been to our local Municipal Libarary and looked at microfysh items relating to my family but I also only have limited information and that's what makes it very difficult.

I will follow the avenues you have provided and hope that I can find what I am looking for. It looks as though it might be a little easier for me to find something than I thought.

Again, I really appreciate your assistance. Thanks again.

Regards

John
jricho
jricho

Return to Surnames A