ABBOTT - St Vincent, Trinidad

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ABBOTT - St Vincent, Trinidad

Postby larsjohn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:51 am

Looking for ABBOTT, Maud. Born St Vincent circa 1880. Migrated to Trinidad with parent; father was pharmacist, who reputedly ran (and owned) a "drug store" on lower St. Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain. Family of Abbotts who founded Abbotts Pharmacy in Kingstown, St. Vincent. Maud was married 1902 in Trinidad to John Johnson, Police Sergeant, migrant from Sweden to the BWI. She died in Trinidad circa 1958.
larsjohn

Re: ABBOTT - St Vincent, Trinidad

Postby Red » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Greetings,

I was researching my family from Trinidad. Found records of my grandfather's brother, Victor. He emigrated to NY from Port of Spain in the 1920s, but died relatively young in 1933. He married fellow Trinidadian Olivia Johnson in 1926. In marriage certificate, Olivia's parents listed as John Johnson from Switzerland and Maud Abbott from St. Vincent. Don't know much about Olivia's family. Her husband in NY was Victor Mario Scholtz. My father remembers Olivia when he was a child, but family apparently lost contact after Victor's death.
Red

Postby larsjohn » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 am

Hi Red.
John Johnson, a Swede christened as John Jonsson in Gothenburg (Goteborg Och Bohus Lan or some such-named Swedish "parish") in 1870, was my paternal grandfather. He married Maud Abbott, who was born in St. Vincent,, B.W.I., in Trinidad in 1902. Their firstborn child was Olivia. She was married twice: first to Victor Schultz (spelling?), and after his death, to Harvey ('Harvest') Vernon (?) Mulloon. Olivia, my kind and well-loved "Aunty Liva" died in the mid 1950s at Monte Grande, St. Augustine, Trinidad. Gone, but not forgotten.

I hope these comments help. Feel free to ask any questions which you may have. I'm always glad to share and compare notes. We can all benefit that way. Happy New Year 2016 to all that read this1
larsjohn

Postby Red » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:47 am

Lars,

Thank you and nice to meet you. My father (now 90) remembers his aunt Olivia and uncle Victor when he was a child (around 5 years old) in NYC. Victor died suddenly of a heart attack at age 33 in 1933, and was buried in the Bronx. Not sure where Victor had met Olivia, in Port of Spain or in NYC, as they were apparently married in NYC in 1926. Victor had arrived in NYC around 1923 (from shipping records)...I assume Olivia returned to Trinidad soon after Victor's death? Do you know if she kept in touch with Victor's family? Are you then a descendent of her one of her siblings?

Victor Scholtz was born in Venezuela in 1900 but had immigrated to Trinidad as a child (2-3 years old) along with mother Louise Morton (born in St Thomas, Virgin Islands) and her mother Sarah Jane Hodge (from St Eustatius, Dutch West Indies). Victor's father was from Curacao with Dutch/Danish lineage; Victor had 4 other Venezuelan born brothers and sisters John, Joseph (my grandfather), Albert and Lilian as well as two Trinidadian siblings.

Best Regards and Happy 2016!

Ralph (writing from NYC)
Red

Postby Seeker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to get information on my relatives that were also Abbott's from St Vincent. My great grand mother was Claudine Angus Abbott. Her father was Thomas Abbott and her siblings were Ira, Horatio and Edith. His daughter Mabel married George McCarthy who owned a couple pharmacies in Port of Spain. Have you guys come across any of these names in your research?
Seeker

Return to Surnames A