Please follow this format for adding entries:
Subject: SURNAME (in capitals), Country - local area.
   (Example: LYNCH - Barbados, Bridgetown)
Body text: Your name, and a short note.
   (Example: James Lynch, seeking especially Hamlet LYNCH ca.1804)
 *Mandatory registration confirms your email, but others cannot access it.       *This Board is fully searchable. 
 *Please do not put your email address in any post.       *You will never receive SPAM from this source.
 Click HERE to register for the Irish Surname Index!Register 

FRIZZELL, John – Ireland – Lower Cranny, Inver Parish, Doneg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames F

LindaE Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: FRIZZELL, John – Ireland – Lower Cranny, Inver Parish, Doneg

I’m searching John FRIZZELL, who was a shoemaker and was an Irishman of French Huguenot origin. I believe he was born abt 1808 (not sure where) and I think he died about the last quarter of 1878 (registered in Letterkenny, Donegal). According to FamilySearch.org such a death was recorded under Film Number: 101589 Volume Number: 2 Page Number: 122 Digital Folder Number: 4200221 Image Number: 00257.

John FRIZZELL was married to Margaret EDWARDS and they had at least 4 daughters: Margaret who was born April 30 1828, Isabella born abt 1835, Jessie born January 26 1846, and Elizabeth Jane born January 8 1848.

Margaret married James KILLEN and after all their children were born in Donegal, they moved to Canada in 1873. Their eldest daughter, Mary Jane KILLEN, was my grandmother.

Isabella FRIZZELL married William Henry SPENCER in Ireland and after two of their children were born (John and William SPENCER), they moved to Ontario, Canada where they had four more children. The SPENCER family appeared in the 1871 and 1881 Canadian Census reports for Monck Township, Muskoka District, Ontario. This family must have been the first to setlle in Canada.

Jessie FRIZZELL remained unmarried but moved to Ontario, Canada, and appeared in an 1891 census there.

Elizabeth Jane FRIZZELL married Dennis CUNNINGHAM in Ireland about 1868. They had three children in Ireland: Sarah Jane CUNNINGHAM born abt 1869, Isabella CUNNINGHAM born abt 1871 and James CUNNINGHAM born abt 1873. They moved to Canada in 1873 on the same ship as James KILLEN and Margaret FRIZZELL. The three chldren of Dennis CUNNINGHAM and Elizabeth Jane FRIZZELL and one more infant born in Canada were tragically killed in a fire in 1875 in Craigvale, Ontario. The couple went on to have three more children, two of them taking on the same names as two who had died in the unfortunate fire.

John FRIZZELL and Margaret EDWARDS also had a son, Thomas FRIZZELL, who remained in Ireland. I’m guessing that he might have been born abt 1840, as there is a gap in ages between Isabella and Jessie.

This is rather long-winded, but if anyone has ties with any of these families or can add additional information, it would be most welcome. LindaE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames F
Page 1 of 1
Choose Display Order
User Permissions