Please follow this format for adding entries:
Subject: SURNAME (in capitals), Country - local area.
   (Example: LYNCH - Barbados, Bridgetown)
Body text: Your name, and a short note.
   (Example: James Lynch, seeking especially Hamlet LYNCH ca.1804)
 *Mandatory registration confirms your email, but others cannot access it.       *This Board is fully searchable. 
 *Please do not put your email address in any post.       *You will never receive SPAM from this source.
 Click HERE to register for the Irish Surname Index!Register 

KILLEN - Ireland - Donegal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames K

LindaE Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: KILLEN - Ireland - Donegal

James KILLEN, my great grandfather, lived in Drumduff, Donegal, and married Margaret FRIZZELL of Lower Cranny, Donegal, Ireland (daughter of John Frizzell, Shoemaker, an Irishman of French Huguenot descent) at Inver Church of Ireland Feb. 5,1852. James Killen operated a grist or flour mill & flax/linen mill. He was also a mill wright & built mills for others. They moved to Canada 1873, sailing on Allan Shipping Line “Scandinavian” Voyage 11 leaving Londonderry May 9, 1873 and arriving May 19, 1873 in Quebec City, Canada, Ticket No. 1005 (Microfilm Reel 4528). He and his family moved on to the province of Ontario and from 1883 till his death in 1911, he served as Post Master at the Ziska Post Office, Monck Township, Muskoka County, Ontario.

In James Killen’s death notice, it was written that he was born in Derry, Ireland. This was a surprise to me because our belief has always been that he was born in Donegal, Ireland!

Our family notes indicate that James Killen was the son of William Killen and Mary Mitchell (Scottish or Scottish descent). It may be that William Killen was born or was from Castletown (I assume Taughboyne or Strabane, Donegal), and Mary Mitchell was from Greenmill (would this be in Scotland???). This was written about the burial of William’s brother, John Killen, who was buried at Monreagh Presbyterian Church graveyard, Taughboyne Parish, Donegal, in 1903 - his father William Killen of Castletown his mother Mary Mitchell of Greenmill.

My father wrote that James Killen’s grandfather (William Killen’s father) was “James Killen who served in the Royal Navy and was with Nelson at the Nile, Copenhagen and Trafalgar (1805). Although a married man, he was away from home for ten years without a break.”

If you have information on any of the above, I’d be pleased to hear from you - LindaE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames K
Page 1 of 1
Choose Display Order
User Permissions