Please follow this format for adding entries:
Subject: SURNAME (in capitals), Country - local area.
   (Example: LYNCH - Barbados, Bridgetown)
Body text: Your name, and a short note.
   (Example: James Lynch, seeking especially Hamlet LYNCH ca.1804)
 *Mandatory registration confirms your email, but others cannot access it.       *This Board is fully searchable. 
 *Please do not put your email address in any post.       *You will never receive SPAM from this source.
 Click HERE to register for the Irish Surname Index!Register 

KOHLER, Dublin, Howth and Clontarf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames K

Spangle Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: KOHLER, Dublin, Howth and Clontarf

Hello, I'm Miranda -

I am seeking information on and descendants of CHARLES KOHLER (died approx 1857), a military tailor working from 7 Lower Sackville Street in Dublin and resident of Howth, and his son, also Charles, (1818-1860 approx) a draper working in College Green Dublin, resident in Clontarf. He had a second son called Thomas Kohler who moved to England circa 1860, and who was my G G Grandfather.

The younger Charles married Anne Odell or O'Dell and they had a son also called Charles, (born 1858 and known as Carl from time to time). Carl/Charles was a watchmaker for Dobbyns in Dame Street, Dublin and died in 1900 in a railway accident in Constance, Switzerland.

Carl/Charles married Maria Flood and had children who grew up in Dublin -

MARIE KAROLINA KOHLER 1870–
GABRIEL CARL KOHLER 1872–
OLIVIA S KOHLER 1874–
IDA THERESIA KOHLER 1876–
OTTO IVO KOHLER 1879–
AMBROSIUS O KOHLER 1880–
ADELAINE KOHLER 1881–
RAPHAEL KOHLER 1887–
OTTILIA KOHLER 1889–

However, I can find no descendants of any of these children, nor can I find out where the original Charles Kohler came from or died or to whom he was married.

Any information would be joyfully and gratefully received and of course I am happy to share what I have.

ralph Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: kohler

HI miranda

The Charles kohler who died in the train accident was my great grandfather,his son Raphael was my grandfather.He died on the 23aug 1962 the day that i was born.He was married to Bridget Moore and they had 4 children Angela Margaret Albert and Dolores(my mother).Dolores and Angela are still living.Angela lives in Glasgow but the rest of the family are still in dublin.I have a photograph of the train crash, and if u go on the Irish Times website (Archive) and search for Kohler 1900 there is a Ref to Charles Kohler funeral. if i can be of any help please get in touch with me

duettist96 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Good heavens - I'm Miranda's cousin; Estella Maud was also my grandmother and Raphael's niece. It was an enormous family, as was Estella's own, but I didn't have any idea that comparatively close relatives are still living. You and I are only a couple of years apart.
Where I work, there is an enormous portrait of the Duke of Cambridge on loan from the National Portrait Gallery in London - and he is wearing his uniform which I guess the Charles Kohler military tailor actually wore!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames K
Page 1 of 1
Choose Display Order
User Permissions