Please follow this format for adding entries:
Subject: SURNAME (in capitals), Country - local area.
   (Example: LYNCH - Barbados, Bridgetown)
Body text: Your name, and a short note.
   (Example: James Lynch, seeking especially Hamlet LYNCH ca.1804)
 *Mandatory registration confirms your email, but others cannot access it.       *This Board is fully searchable. 
 *Please do not put your email address in any post.       *You will never receive SPAM from this source.
 Click HERE to register for the Irish Surname Index!Register 

Hamlet LYNCH in Barbados, source unknown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames L

bimjim Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Hamlet LYNCH in Barbados, source unknown

I have a reference in a later will (not a birth document) to a Hamlet LYNCH. He was father of his first child in Barbados (West Indies) at 1804. There are NO records that I can find for this person, but there is a suggestion (from subsequent generations) that he was wealthy.

Christian names of the sons were Peter, John Richard, and James. An unusual male name is Hazel.

I am looking for any LYNCH who is known to have travelled to the Caribbean in general, and to Barbados in specific.

With no travel or other records, Hamlet LYNCH could have been military - army or navy - or a civilian bureaucrat, since those were the only categories of people able to travel without being documented locally. Certain estate/plantation owners who had their own ships and piers could also come and go without being documented.

I also know of a LYNCH estate on the south-east corner of Antigua, and a gravestone for a LYNCH in a graveyard on the south coast of that island.

There is the remotest likelihood our patriarch's name was not even LYNCH, if he was masquerading under a pseudonym. But that's something I don't even want to consider at this point in my research (but if you think you have such info I'd be happy to receive it!!).

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
bimjim

Last edited by bimjim on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

bimjim Reply with quote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

More info...

I suspect that my Hamlet LYNCH was the son of (male) Hazel / Hasel / Hassel LYNCH, son of Irish merchants in Bridgetown, Barbados. This male was documented as the father of a number of children with free negro women in Barbados about the same time.

He was in turn the son of Anthony (and Mary) LYNCH, who was probably a merchant of Irish descent in Bridgetown.

Anthony and Mary Lynch's children were...

1. Patrick Lynch
2. Elenor Lynch
3. Daniel Lynch
4. Dominick Lynch
5. Sarah Lynch
6. Hasel Lynch
7. Hasell Lynch
8. Elizabeth [m.Husbands] Lynch
9. Harriot [m.Osbourn] Lynch

I have been told that my Hamlet LYNCH may have been related to Joseph MAYERS, landowner in St. Philip parish, Barbados and/or Eleanor LYNCH, landowner in Christ Church parish, Barbados, but can find no documentary proof of either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Surname Index Forum Index -> Surnames L
Page 1 of 1
Choose Display Order
User Permissions