Caribbean Historical Preservation Institute Forum Index
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search Caribbean Historical Preservation Institute Forum Index

History and the Now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Caribbean Historical Preservation Institute Forum Index »  Potential CHPI areas of discovery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelJohn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: History and the Now Reply with quote

I really think most efforts at some point must supplement what is happening on the ground ....But without interfering with the distinctly guarded territories which exist in island governments and institutions. Bimjim and I spoke much of this several years back and simple efforts at first: bring donor and museum together etc for new microfiche machines or decent computers or making sure there is an adequate supply of paper for the copier. It may come to that!
Perhaps using a CHPI web-site as a means to improve access to archival services and collect data on the need (and possible finance stream) from those services.

But I also think that in places like Jamaica there are publishers actively promoting themselves and island history now. So some study on what is going on around the Carib in terms of preservation, recovery and support would mean approaching various institutions in locale and finding out what their problems are. There would be more or less institutional problems such as an archives having NO budget for the preservation staff to work with, or they may have something special they could use donor help with.....but cannot do alone

To me this sort of work is the tough stuff because it is intensely political but opportunities for Rescue such as The History of Antigua etc may be one fairly direct means to spread our good intent. We after all currently haven't a true mission statement or a bequest to assist our operations so with those limits enabling work, listening, etc might be the best foot forward.

And a Endangered List on a well designed web-site would have benefits for donor recruitment as well as ahem keeping certain things in the spotlight so they cannot be shuffled into the "lost" folder at the airport....
Cod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Caribbean Historical Preservation Institute Forum Index »  Potential CHPI areas of discovery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: